“What a sad era when it is easier to smash an atom than a prejudice.”
― Albert Einstein
Fear and Ignorance. These two pillars of bigotry are powerful allies. Each supports the other. Ignorance seems to be on the increase as people are persuaded by different groups and social circles to encourage and validate a plethora of belief systems. Division can be created in an instant from diversity as humans weave different belief systems into our own identities.
Diversity surrounds us! It’s a beautiful and natural part of this universe. Even the most bigoted can’t avoid or remove it, however hard they try. People act in biased and discriminatory ways through ignorance and fear.
Discrimination is illogical. You can’t show a rational reason to support it. However, bigots aren't using logic. They use emotions (especially fear) in the face of anything they don't understand, or that doesn't fit into their belief systems. These fear-based emotions often place a creative block within conversation and learning.
8 Ways to Identify Bigotry in Conversation
1. A bigot can’t listen to differing opinions because they feel like if they do, they are agreeing. They then feel the need to disagree before they even know what the other person is saying.
2. A bigot is afraid that others are too stupid to think for themselves so they must rescue them from their ignorance. If the other person objects or resists, they shut them down or exit the conversation because they are afraid of being defiled by the other person’s thinking.
3. A bigot has no desire to learn anything about a person who thinks differently. The bigot cares not what the other person thinks and why they think it.
4. A bigot will accuse others of being bigoted because the other person will expose their prejudices.
5. A bigot will stereotype others who are different and create labels.
6. A bigot will demonize what is being said to them and do not seek to understand.
7. A bigot will ignore any information that contradicts their point of view and dismisses it.
8. Without reliable sources and/or logic, a bigot will judge and demagogue those who speak a different opinion.
Keep kicking at the indifference until it bleeds life!